I
was fortunate enough to have a 2-day conference scheduled in Bologna, making
this the 10th trip of the calendar year for me. Having never been to
Italy before, and armed with only the barest minimum of Italian phrases
committed to memory (“I don’t speak Italian”, “please”, “thank you”, “hello”
and “goodbye”), I was an interesting mix of excited and nervous to embark on
this trip solo.
Ordinarily
a brief 1h40m flight, my plans were foiled at the last minute by a transport
strike in Italy, which meant that my direct Paris-Bologna flight became a
5-hour Paris – Lyon – Bologna trek. The pain of the transit time was somewhat
mitigated by the flight path over the Alps. My inner wide-eyed Zimbabwean was
absolutely delighted, and rolling thoughts of “I’m flying over the Alps. The
ACTUAL Alps! You know, the ones you read about in books and see on the TV – those Alps. And they’re so pretty! The
ALPS!!! Woooo!” persisted for the duration of the transit.
The
cab ride to my hotel was… ummm… an experience. You know that reputation
Italians have for being crazy drivers? Well… I’ve been in a car with my ex—a
somewhat incautious driver, by my standards—in central Paris around insane
roundabouts with no rules and lots of traffic; I’ve caught a New York City cab
from a blues club downtown in the middle of the night; I grew up in Zimbabwe,
where people buy their driver’s
licenses: all child’s play compared to the weaving and accelerating and
heavy-footed braking and near-brushes with buses and gesticulating and
incomprehensible swearing that characterised my cab ride into the city. I spent
the entire trip frantically stamping down on the imaginary break pedal on the
floor in front of me, but I somehow made it to the hotel in one piece.
The
city itself took all of five minutes to have me completely charmed. The streets
abound with a sense of warmth and friendliness, and an underlying air of
calmness. Unlike Paris, and many other French cities I’ve visited, there was no
feeling of artifice, no sense that the city had a standard of appearance that
it was trying to live up to, no perfectly coiffed women in perfectly
coordinated clothing and accessories. Relaxed. It struck me as a normal city
where normal people live normal lives, without any of the arrogance or need to
impress felt in so many other cities. (Not that I’m saying that the artifice or
sense of keeping-up-appearances in Paris is necessarily a bad thing; just that Bologna
was a welcome break from Parisian city life.) There also appears to be an
attractiveness requirement imposed on all restaurant wait staff: most pleasant
on the eyes for a single girl wandering around!
My
hotel (the hotel Accademia) is located in the University district of the city, which is very convenient for exploring. Bologna
is home to Europe’s oldest university, which was founded in 1088, and the
campus is fairly stunning.
In
the central Piazza Ravegnana are located the Two Towers (Garisenda: the shorter
at 48m, and Asinelli: the taller at 97.2m), the symbol of the city of Bologna.
While
it may appear that only the Garisenda Tower is skew, Wikipedia assures me that
both of these 12th century constructions are not quite straight.
Apparently, scientists used the Asinelli tower, in the 17th and 18th
centuries, to study the motion of heavy bodies and the rotation of the earth,
and the slant in the Garisenda tower is a result of yielding of the ground
surrounding its foundation. It is for this reason that the height of the tower
was decreased from 60m to 48m in the 14th century.
I have to
say that sightseeing around the city is made somewhat difficult by the
porticoes lining most of the streets. Given that the roads are narrow and the
buildings tall, constantly having a roof over your head results in many sights
being obscured from view. The porticoes themselves, though, are lovely,
changing in style throughout the city from Gothic to Romanesque to modern.
The city is
filled with cafés, restaurants and bars, and there is (unsurprisingly) no
shortage of pizzerias and gelato shops. If shopping is your thing, the main Via
dell’Independenza is a good place to start, and many of the Piazzas play host
to markets during the day (I stopped by the Piazza dell’Otto Agosto, just off Via
dell’Independenza, briefly on my last day – it’s huge and chock full of reasonably
priced Italian goodies and lots of shoe vendors!)
I was
particularly taken by Piazza Maggiore (pictured below),
and the Cattedrale di
San Pietro is definitely worth a visit. It is rather small, but its Romanesque
design was a welcome break from the series of Gothic churches I’ve seen this
year. I found the décor inside to be quite tasteful, and a bit understated when
compared to other churches of the time. It’s beautiful, light and airy, and one
of my favourites visited this year.
Bologna
is not an overly touristy city, which is particularly nice coming from one of
the most tourist-rich cities in Europe, and I found the people to be very
friendly, and very willing to be accommodating if you don’t speak Italian
(you’ll find many English-speakers around). One big concern I’d had before
going was that Italian men are reputed to be more forward and, well, leery than
French men. Now, I seem to have a special talent for attracting leery,
lecherous men, and when you’re wandering the streets as a lone (and rather
little) female, it tends to make you a more obvious target. Thankfully, my
fears proved unjustified, as I was approached a sum total of once during my
trip, and swiftly left alone when I proclaimed that I spoke neither Italian nor
English, only French!
In
all, a lovely little break from Paris, though I’m not sure I’ll be rushing to
go back for a holiday, since I’m not sure there’s all that much to do
there. The brief séjour has, however, piqued my interest in Italy, and I hope
to visit some of the more prominent touristy destinations in the near future!
Hmm, pretending to speak only French to get out of an undesirable situation. Genius!
ReplyDeleteI want to go to Bologna! And just about every other city in Italy...
If you ever get the time, I can highly recommend travelling to Italy by train. You leave right from the centre of Paris, and get to see the Alps really close up! It's not even too lengthy--about 6 hours to Torino, although other cities will of course take longer.
ReplyDelete